Medical Marijuana Program

Your opinion matters, Please take a short survey to help us improve our services. [ English | Español ]

New Requirement for Doctor's
Medical Marijuana Doctor Attestation: Form

Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program

The California Department of Public Health's (CDPH) Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program (MMICP) was specifically established to create a State-authorized medical marijuana identification card (MMICP), along with a registry database for verification of qualified patients and their primary caregivers. Participation by patients and primary caregivers in this identification card program is voluntary. The MMICP Web-based registry allows law enforcement and the public to verify the validity of a qualified patient or primary caregiver's MMICP as authorization to possess, grow, transport, and/or use medical marijuana within California.

Who may apply?

This program is voluntary. You may apply with the program if you reside in a California county and your doctor recommends the use of medical marijuana for one or more serious conditions you suffer from as specified in number 4 below. 

Where can I apply?

Public Health Department
Office of Vital Records

345 Camino del Remedio
3rd Floor, Building 4, Room 320 
Santa Barbara, CA 93110


Can I walk in or do I need an appointment?

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate walk-ins. Appointments are required, Please call to schedule an appointment.

Santa Barbara Public Health Department
(805) 681-5150 or (805) 681-5151

What documents do I need to apply for a Medical Marijuana ID card?

  1. A complete MMIC Application/Renewal form (CDPH 9042)
  2. Provide a valid government-issued photo identification card (such as a driver's license) issued to you. If you under the age of 18 and lack a photographic identification, you may substitute a certified copy of your birth certificate in place of the photo identification.
  3. Provide proof of your county residency with one of the following items bearing your name and current address within the county.
    • A current rent/mortgage receipt
    • Recent utility bill (gas, water, electric)
    • A current California motor vehicle registration
  4. Written documentation from your doctor recommending that the use of medical marijuana is appropriate for one or more the following serious medical conditions you suffer from: Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS); anorexia; arthritis; cachexia; cancer; chronic pain; glaucoma; migraine; persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to, spasms associated with multiple sclerosis; seizures, including, but not limited to, seizures with epilepsy; severe nausea; or any other chronic or persistent medical symptom that either substantially limits the ability of the person to conduct one or more major life activities as defined in the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 or, if not alleviated, such chronic or persistent medical symptoms may cause serious harm to your safety, or your physical or mental health.
  5. Your Doctor may use the Written Documentation of Patients Medical Records form (CDPH 9044) to serve as the medical documentation. The administering agency is required to verify an applicant's medical documentation. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the authorized medical release of information is on file with their medical provider.
  6. Medical Marijuana Doctor Attestation: Form
  7. Fee is $42.00 and $21.00 for MediCal eligible patients. Must be proof of eligibility. Application fees are non-refundable.
  8. Your picture will be taken, no hats, bandanas or sunglasses allowed.

What happens after I submit my application?

  1. We have 30 days to process.
  2. Once card is available, you will be contacted to come back and pick up your card.

How long is a MMIC valid?

Cards are good for a year from the date issued, as long as your doctor's recommendation is current and you are in compliance with your physician.

By Appointment Only

Business hours are from
9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
For more information, please call (805) 681-5150